Sunday, October 23, 2005

Men are like mascara. They usually run at the first sign of emotion.

I have been pondering lately on the thought of manipulation. It's a disease that runs rampant in modern society, usually practiced by vindictive females. I've never been exposed to it in great quantities as my parents have taught us that playing with other peoples emotions and causing others to feel things they might not otherwise feel is not the best way to make friends. But as of late I've run into it. I've been a victim of it. Which makes me wonder; what is manipulation, exactly?

Through days - alright, it was only a few hours, possibly one hour - I've come to realize what it is and why certain people are more vulnerable for it than others.

Manipulation in it's simpliest form is the twisting of someone else's emotions. According to dictionary.com it's the - exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage. I suppose we all do this at times, without realizing it. We vent to someone because we know they'll feel sorry for you and they'll relate. You let a comment slip about how you're not feeling well so someone will ask you what's wrong. But it's the last part of the definition that makes manipulation so horrible. It's when you manipulate them for your own gain, your own recreation, or to meet your own needs. That's when manipulation becomes wrong.

So, here's the question. Who's vulnerable for manipulation? Basically, any one that's needy. Being clingy or too open or trusting will set you up faster than a New York minute. By letting someone in on that little piece of information that no one else knows, the deep dark secret that you just have to tell this person because "they'll never hurt you", you're letting them have too much of you. We - especially women - get sucked into this easily because we feel that this person is good to talk to, or that they think you're special because they care about what's bothering you. Unfortunately, it's only after a period of confusion and heart ache that you realize this person is not manipulating you through the information they've collected. And while this doesn't make them horrible, it definiately becomes frustrating.

So what am I saying exactly? Unless you've seen someone care deeply about another person, other than their family, don't trust them with your little secrets. You never know how they'll turn on you.

Toodles!

-Jillian

4 comments:

Just me said...

I would do that but i don't care about you or reliable web hosting. Thanks!
-Jillian

isha said...

hehehe lol......
what brought all this up jill?
oh, I have a funny story I've been meaning to tell you. So we were sitting (me, christina, lindsey, etc.) in Denny's (for AP US history group projects) , and somehow the topic came up about you...usually when that happens people just rag on about how annoying they think you are, or how much they hate you or whatever, and I never really know what to do, because although I know that you can do those things, there's a lot more to you than that...but it was really cool, everything they said was, like, nice! Christina was like, oh I love jiilian she's a cute girl. and everybody else was like oh she's quirky but fun, and cool. It made me really happy.
-isha

Just me said...

see, usually the people that harp on me do it because I've told them they're doing something stupid before. I've learned people don't like that for some odd reason. Go figure...
-Jillian

isha said...

heheheh lol. well you have a rather large group of junior girls that like you a lot...so..... be happy : )
-isha