Monday, August 23, 2010

Time together isn't ever quite enough

I am not the most logical person at times. I am fully aware that I have this problem with following through with my thoughts all the way.

For instance...

Last Friday I thought my wallet had been stolen. Having gone through this before, I knew the drill and immediately went to Wells Fargo and had them cancel my debit card and close my account, as my account number had been in my wallet too. So they set up a new account for me, ordered me a new card, new checks, everything. I cancelled my other debit card too, and in the end I was glad I had gotten that part sorted out.

But lo and behold, what did I find the very next day? My wallet, sitting on my chest of drawers where I swear it had not been when I looked there the day previous. Not that I was horribly upset, I was glad I didn't have to contact the SSA to get that sorted out or have to get another license or BYU ID, not to mention the library and grocery store cards I had in there. And I have a strong affinity for the actual wallet as well. :)

Well, I worked my butt off this weekend and made enough money that I didn't feel comfortable walking around with it in my newly rediscovered wallet, so I go to the bank this morning to get the two accounts sorted out (yeah...telling the guy I'd found it was embarrassing, don't even worry about it) and deposited all my cash into my checking account.

This is where my lack of fully developed thought comes in.

I completely forgot the fact that, oh wait, I have almost no food at my house. I have rice. I have eggs. I have instant stuffing. That's pretty much it. No eggs, no milk, nothing. So I get back from the bank this morning feeling rather ravenous as I hadn't eaten for 20 hours, realize I have nothing to eat in my house and think "Oh, I needed to go grocery shopping anyway, might as well go now."

One problem though. I'd cancelled my debit card and I, being the genius I am, had just deposited all of my cash.

So what did I, the prideful, stubborn, independent yet resourceful college student do? I scrounged through my work apron and discovered $3.20 in coins and went to the store to buy a loaf of bread.

Since then I have had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and fried eggs on toast. Both were delightful and very filling and I feel like I can get on with my day now.

I'm moving right now. I'm actually quite excited about it. I love going to a new place, someplace that's fresh and blank, and making it my own. I have all of Wednesday and Thursday off, so I'm going to spend at least one of those days unpacking and organizing everything as well as decorating it and putting my mark on it so it feels more like home and less like a bed I'm just filling temporarily. Hopefully I'll spend the other day hiking, but we'll see what kind of progress I make as I want everything to be settled and set before school starts on Monday.

I am waxing a little nostalgic though. This house has seen some fun memories and I'm a little sad to leave the place behind, though I'm sure there will be many more made in the apartment next store.

And a post wouldn't be a post without at least one list.

Things that make me smile:

-Owl City, most specifically The Saltwater Room, Hello Seattle, If My Heart Was a House, and the Bird and the Worm
-Knowing I have tickets to go see Ingrid Michaelson
-E-mails from and talking to my best friend
-Going through my pictures and deciding which ones to print off to hang around my room
-Finding out I don't have to have all my stuff moved out and deep-cleaned for another 30 hours
-Thinking I might be pinpointing what's wrong with my car so I can get it fixed sometime in the future
-Knowing I'm working tonight so I'll actually be able to buy cleaning supplies
-The anticipation of shopping for school supplies

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about ur purse... did you report that to police??? i had my purse stolen last month with all my credit cards, cash and other important stuff.... i was so pi$$ed and then was worried about identity theft... u know this identity theft has become such a common practice these days that no one is safe from it...thats a good step that you instantly called the cops and report... and God Bless my Mom who gave me this link... :) http://bit.ly/9AmT7f - This company was a great help! glad i've used them........

Denise Wheeler said...

I LOVE YOU!

Liz said...

I love shopping for school supplies! I've been thinking about it since I registered for classes like a month ago. I feel a sense of anticipation similar to Christmas when I think about buying school supplies.

I'm glad we share this.

Just me said...

I just bought 5 five-star notebooks (you can't cheap on those, they have the have the durable plastic cover and folders on the inside) pencils and new highlighters. It was so satisfying! Especially to come home and decide which folder went with which class.

Sometimes I'm a nerd. But I'm glad I'm not alone.

Condie Family said...

I found your blog! Yay! And now I am going to stay updated on you and your wallet losing adventures. Are you at BYU? Any shows? Keep me posted.