Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Sometimes I just wish I could hook my soul up to another person so they could understand what I'm feeling. I suppose understand would be an incorrect term. Empathize and actually KNOW what I was feeling and thinking. I hate that I have to try and explain what I'm feeling to people. It would be so much easier if they just knew my feelings the way I do.

I feel so inarticulate at times. Mostly though, I'm afraid that people will misinterpret what I'm trying to express. Sometimes - actually, more often then I'd like to think - I think I use words that make sense in my heard but other people find difficult to understand or comprehend why they apply in the context that I put them.

This is my current frustration.

It seems like no matter how much I talk about something none of the advice I get on the subject is actually applicable.

Maybe I don't understand the situation well enough, which prohibits me from expressing it in a way that's understandable to anyone else. This is also a viable option.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Though, you know... if people would actually take the time to listen or hear out both sides of a situation perhaps the both of you wouldn't feel so misunderstood or caged in if you will...

Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Or maybe people shouldn't give advise on situations they are not a part of. Leads to rude comments, and someone parroting remarks they themselves had not previously felt, but those given to someone who cannot possibly understand the outcome of their words or how far they will go and/or penetrate.

That goes for the three of of commentors, and the person who wrote this blog. Peace and Love.

Anonymous said...

*given by someone... not to someone.

My mistake.

Just me said...

These are all very valid points, especially about taking the time to hear both sides. And while it doesn't apply to the situation I was writing about I appreciate it being said.

At the same time though, it's impossible to get a full, balanced story, just like it's impossible to give advice on a sitution you ARE a part of. The only way you can give advice to someone involved in the same situaton as you is to give advice to yourself - a worthwhile try, but usually very unproductive. Especially considering those involved in the problems usually have a one-sided tunnelistic view themselves. Hence why we seek advice from others.

Also, the comment about hearing both sides of the story just goes to emphasize the point I'm making in the blog. Words fail at expressing things perfectly, thanks to connotations and other linguistical quirks and failings.

I think the main point with advice is to ask it from people you trust to tell you the truth - even if it's something you don't to hear. Because, let's be honest, advice should really just be a person asking the right questions to help you make the decision for yourself. Most importantly you have to trust yourself to be smart enough not to "parrot" anything you don't belive for yourself. And if you're the kind of person who folds easily to the pressures of others, you should probably get rid of those tongues in your ears that will lead you to hurt those around you in long reaching ways.

Those are my thoughts at least. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Stanley Langford Lloyd said...

Wow, who would have known such a little post would have sparked such discussion. Way to go Jillian