Monday, July 14, 2008

"Shut the f*** up!" - Austin

So here I am. After a 6 month hiatus from my blog, I've recieved requests to start writing again. Okay, so not really requests, that makes it sound like people love reading what I write. What it really comes down to is I'm a horrible person to try and keep track of, so this way my family and friends can actually see what's going on in my life. So without further adieu, let's begin!

As most of you probably know, I'm working at the Pink Garter theatre in Jackson Wy. It's been an interesting experience. The shows are pretty solid and we're over halfway through our performances. To stop things from being too completely complicated, since I'll be dropping names and I'll want you to know who they are and my feelings about them, I'll give you a brief and honest run-down of the people in the 2008 company:

Boys:

Austin- Will Parker and Cosmo Brown. Also runs half the backstage-crew for Sheriff. He and I have personality problems. While I would like to sit and talk them through so we can get along, he would rather just apologize for them and pretend they didn't happen, which just leaves them idly by until something else happens that causes us to have another blow-up. These blow-ups usually have a few days between them and involve lots of sore feelings and more often than not, swearing. He's dramatic, rude, stubborn, prideful, likes to listen to himself talk more than others, insecure, analytical, critical of everyone, and hypocritical. Just like me. There are times when he can get genuinely nice and sweet, he's self-taught on piano and guitar and dances really well. I would like to be friends with him but there's only so much I can do.

Aaron- Ali Hakim, Ensemble, and Daniel Beau Jenny. He also understudies pretty much everyone. Part of the reason why I'm so hot on talking through problems with Austin is because last year, through a series of miscommunications, false-assumptions and a lot of jumped conclusions, Aaron and I didn't get along at all. We talked through it this year though and now he and I get along fine. What you see is what you get with Aaron. He's a sardonic dork who thrives on non-conformity and being as contrary as possible. He plays some amazing guitar and dances way too well for a man who has so little training. There are somedays when he amazes me with his insight, professionalism and kindness. Then there are others when he proves me right with his sarcastic laziness. The latter happen most frequently. He and I also have problems with the whole "aiming while kissing" thing.

Brannon- Jud Fry, R.F Simpson, and Richard. Talk about insecure. He's the first to find fault in everyone besides himself. At first I disliked him, but recently as he and I have interacted more, he's beginning to grow on me and I don't despise him so much. We joke and play around now. He's not the most amazing of actors, but I love his voice, even though it's fairly limited to it's classical training. The more I learn about the kid the more I like him. I just wish he could see what was good in himself and stop trying so hard to prove it all the time.

Luke- Curly McClain, "Ensemble", and Roscoe Dexter. He is called enigma for a reason. He and I probably interact the least of all the guys in the cast, though I hear more about him from my roommates than any other guy. He's the oldest member of the company, coming in at 27, I believe. He's quite knowledgeable about a lot of things and is more comfortable to sit in the background than to take a leading role. His exploits with the ladies cause more drama in my house than my clashes with Austin. Probably more to come on that later.

Kai- Andrew Carnes, Don Lockwood, tech crew. Oh, Mr. Blakesley. There's not much you can say to describe Kai, except maybe a reformed player (of basketball and other things) who could charm the husk of the corn. He and I are the only non-musical theatre majors in the company. He was studying Physical Therapy and is now hoping to serve a mission. Of the guys, he's the one I'm the closest too. He reminds me of Fune and though he is the hottest of the males I cannot muster any form of attraction for him. He can dance well, though he still has to control his mouth hanging open like a door when he does it. He doesn't like to hurt anyones feelings so, of course, he ends up hurting them even more. He's ripped like nobody's business and is obsessed with working out and being healthy. Because of this, he's also fairly shallow and judges a lot of things on appearances.

Scoot- The techie. We love Scoot. He's from Jersey, just barely baptized into the church a few months ago and you could say he's still trying to conform. He's got a bit of a temper on him, but he's good if you need a hug or just want to laze around for a while. He rides a scooter, which is probably the coolest thing ever. Also, his fingers never fully formed on his right hand, so he does everything with his nubs and his left hand, including rock climbing. He's a genuinely nice guy who gets snubbed by the girls all the time. It makes me a little sad.

T-Bone- Cord Elam. He was the emergency hire to fill in Oklahoma! after Jeremy left, and we are soooooo glad he's here! He brings a burst of positive energy to the otherwise negative and hateful atmosphere. Whenever we do Oklahoma! we (especially the girls) get incredibly excited because he know T-Bone will be there. He guides on the river during the day, plays at night. He's not an incredibly attractive man, but he's cuddly like a teddy bear. He redefines the definition of cool as he rocks out on his harmonica and plays chill guitar with his full beard and shaggy hair.

Those are pretty much all the definitions I can muster up right now. Give me another day or two...or possibly just tomorrow since I'm working at the box office again tomorrow, and I'll fill you in on all the girls in the company. And yes, I'm sitting here typing thi sall at work. But see, just like texting, I'm able to multi-task smiling, answering the phone, and typing at the same time.

And a gay couple totally just walked past me wearing Hollister. Take that surfer dudes.

I'm off the clock in about ten minutes. Now I'm left trying to decide what to do with the four hours of freedom before I have to report to do Singin' in the Rain tonight. I wonder what dramam will unfurl during this performance. Last performance Austin told me to shut the f*** up, which, instead of hurting me or making me actually shut up, just caused me to laugh at him. Also, Brannon freaked out on everyone for laughing offstage during the last scene. Apparently we were being disrespectful to Ami and Kai, though when I talked to Ami about it she had no idea what I was talking about as she could hear us at all. It made me laugh. Though in my defense, what Tami and I were laughing about was hysterical. I'm smiling now thinking of it.

Alright, I'm off. Toodles!

-Jillian

p.s. I've decided that every post will be titled with a quote that somehow relates to some of the happenings in my blog. ...this one is pretty obvious.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Reread your blog as if you were one of the guys you wrote about. While I can see that you are just being totally honest, they could possibly read some pretty hurtful things in what you said. I think they should rephrase the age old classic to say, "tempered" honesty is the best policy.

Your loving papa.

Beckah said...

Dude, Jill, that was way too short. I'm sitting here reading it at work (funny how that works, though I don't have to multi-task; there's nothing else for me to do. And did you see that use of the semi-colon! Master!) and I enjoy reading about your life. Oh, I miss gay friends. And theatre. And being outside...enjoy your life in Jackson, dear! I miss you and I want to see someday soon. Sounds like life can be pretty dramatic, but hey. Why else is it called theater? Love ya!

isha said...

hahahah.... definitely too short. I'm glad to hear about what's going on with you though Jill. hurray for drama and bad/good good/bad friends. Hope to hear more soon.

if you want to talk anytime, just call...
isha

Just me said...

Papa

They don't know this blog exists and they can't get to it. It's totally kosher. This is the only way I get to vent about things so I figure it's legit to do it here rather than to another member of the company where it can be hurtful.

Unknown said...

Okay, love you!

Papawhee