Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"I'm chubby and drive a mini-van. I just can't pull off that menace to society thing." - Me

So today I have a story. It is the story of Jillian getting pulled over twice in one week. I would like to preface this story by stating that I have never hit anything that was moving, or been in an accident and that it was my mother that taught me to drive.

I have been pulled over 7 times in my life. This has spanned 4 states and includes 4 different cars. Of the 7 times, 5 have been for speeding. In our company so far, 7 people have been pulled over this summer. The results from those have included arrests, and hundreds of dollars worth of tickets.

So last week, Thursday to be exact, I'm driving my friend Jillian down to Idaho Falls for a dermatologist appointment. It was early in the morning, around 8. We'd left a little late and I knew there was construction up ahead on the road, so I was pushing it a little bit, going 72, I think, in either a 65 or a 55 zone, I couldn't remember which. Well, it turned out it was a 55 zone. A cop flips his suburban (cops drive suburbans up here, no wussie impala's for them!) around, flips on his lights, and I get pulled over. Ami had been asleep in the back, her hair tousled from left over pin curls from Singin' in the Rain the night before, Jillian had shot-gun and while she had taken a shower, she had no make-up on and her hair was hanging limply around her shoulders. And I, the fearless driver of my sleepy comrades, was wearing no make-up with my hair rolled in pastel foam curlers. This is what the police officer sees when I roll down my window and give him my license. He asks where I'm going and I tell him the truth. He cracks a joke about my foam curlers and I laugh. He asks for my proof-of-insurance and registration. I knew I had them in the same place (a compartment under my stereo) but we couldn't seem to find it (the compartment and therefore the necessary papers) at that exact moment. The police officer laughs, makes another joke about my foam curlers, tells me he's going to run my license and to just keep looking for my other papers. Eventually we find the compartment, forcing it open, only to find my proof of insurance is outdated and I need a new one. This should have been enough to get me a ticket, but somehow I managed to get off with just a verbal warning (and yet another crack about my curlers) and we were on our way to Idaho Falls.

Needless to say people in the cast were a little upset that I got off so easy. But only a few know what happened last night.

I was driving over to the guys apartment at around 1:30 in the morning to pick up Jillian and to hang with their dog for a while. The strip in Jackson has a speed limit of 35, but I'm on auto-pilot and I find myself going about 50. I realize this and start slowing down, but it was too late. A suburban behind me starts flashing lights and I pull over obligingly. This time I've managed to un-stick my console and have all the necessary papers ready. I roll down the window and he asks where I was going to quickly. I tell him I'm on my way to pick up a friend at another friends house. He asks if I had just gotten out of the shower (I had and was, ironically, about to foam curl my hair.) I explain my proof-of-insurance is out of date and I just need my parents to send me the updated one. He looks at the old one, says he trusts me, then hands me back my insurance and registration and explains that he's not going to give me a ticket this time, but he did have to go run my license. I'm not going to lie, I was a little afraid that something would come up and say that I'd been pulled over twice in less than a week and he would change his mind about the ticket thing, but instead, he comes back up to my car, hands me my license and lets me know that I technically have to get my license plates changed. Like I'm really going to do that.

Either way, that's twice that I've been pulled over because of speeding in the past week. Austin says I get out of the tickets because I'm a girl, and I say, if so, good for me. Men may get traffic tickets, but we women have to go through childbirth. Anyone wanna trade?

-Jillian

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You tell an amazing story. And you are REALLY lucky. Your oldest sister says you are really clever. Also, call MOM and tell her about your proof of insurance need. I'll forget to tell her. Now the obligatory, "Be more careful when you drive, and don't drive so fast!!" Love ya!

Papa

Jessica Waite said...

I wish Patxi would have your luck, his licence is revoked for the whole month of August because of all his speeding tickets.

Wait, does this mean that dad has a blog too? crazy! Jen just got one yesterday and asked me all these questions. Which I guess she should have aaked you because you proabaly have more experience then me. Why didn't you tell me that you've had a blog since April 2005!!! Come on, Pill, I'm your sister. Okay, so maybe I wouldn't have know what you were talking about when you said the word "blog" six month ago, but you could have told me when I got mine. Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. I still love you! Talk to you soon!

Curt said...

Jill, Pill! This is Curt Whittaker. Sorry we missed your call. I was on the phone with our prescription drug mail order company. Feel free to call back Sunday or so. Rebekah is going to Mayan ruins tomorrow with a friend, and Mary and I are going to a couples retreat with the Stake. Check out our blogs, too! Mine (which I update only seldomly): http://whittawacker.blogspot.com

Please pass this address and our love to your parents!

The Laws said...

Jill...you can definately tell you learned to drive from your mom! ;) You are so lucky!!